- 2 1/4 lb carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 onion, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- sea salt
- 4 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 3/8 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 bay leaf
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cups coconut milk
- fresh ground black pepper
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss the carrots, onions, 1 tsp. oil, and 1/2 tsp. salt on a rimmed baking sheet and spread in an even layer. Roast until vegetables are browned and softened, about 30 minutes.
2. Transfer to large saucepan. Add the rest of the oil, cover, and cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until carrots soften further, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 3o seconds longer. Stir in wine and bay leaf. Cook until wine has reduced by half, about a minute. Add broth. Bring to boil over medium high heat; cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the soup is flavorful, about 5 minutes.
3. Ladle into blender until smooth, return to saucepan. Add coconut milk and warm over low heat until heated thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.
Click below for printer friendly PDF