- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 pablano chili pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 3 lb Butternut Squash, cut in half, seeds and fibers scraped out with spoon, and reserved. Do not peel.
- 6 cups water
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, or heavy cream
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
1. Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over medium-low heat until shimmering; add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add pablano pepper, squash scrapings and seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and butter turns saffron color, about 4 minutes.
Add 6 cups water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt to Dutch oven and bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, place squash cut-side down in steamer basket, and lower basket into pot.
Cover and steam until squash is completely tender, about 30 minutes. Off heat, use tongs to transfer squash to rimmed baking sheet; reserve steaming liquid.
When cool enough to handle, use large spoon to scrape flesh from skin into medium bowl; discard skin.
2. Pour reserved steaming liquid through mesh strainer into second bowl; discard solids in strainer. Rinse and dry Dutch oven.
3. In blender, puree squash with pablano pepper and reserved liquid in batches, pulsing on low until smooth. Transfer puree to Dutch oven; stir in coconut milk and brown sugar and heat over medium-low heat until hot. Add salt to taste; serve immediately.
Click below for printer friendly PDF