- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 1/2 cups), peeled, seeded and fibers removed. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter, or unsalted butter
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio Rice
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine, or water
- 3/4 cup Manchego cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
1. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add about 3 1/2 cups squash in even layer and cook without stirring until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender and browned, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer squash to bowl and set aside.
2. Return skillet to medium heat; add reserved squash fibers and seeds and any leftover diced squash. Cook, stirring frequently to break up fibers, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to large saucepan and add chicken broth and water; cover saucepan and bring mixture to simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low to maintain bare simmer.
3. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in now-empty skillet over medium heat; when foaming subsides, add onions, garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add rice to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until grains are translucent around edges, about 3 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring frequently, until fully absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes.
Click below for printer friendly PDF