- 1/2 lb. Collards, sliced thin
- bowl of ice water
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cannellini beans, cooked (you may use canned if you like)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 sage leaves, sliced thin
- sea salt , to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- parmesan cheese
1. Soak collards in ice water.
2. In Dutch oven, sauté garlic in extra virgin olive oil for 20 seconds until fragrant.
3. Add half cooked beans and half the vegetable stock.
4. Place remaining beans and stock, sage, and tomato paste in blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into Dutch oven. Add salt, pepper, brown sugar and cayenne.
5. Drain collards. Add to soup and simmer for a half hour.
6. Mix cornmeal, flour, lemon juice and enough water to make 1 cup.
7. Pour cornmeal mixture in slowly, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer for 15 minutes, stir occasionally, making sure bottom does not scorch. Serve hot. Garnish with parmesan